Tuesday, July 23, 2013

By Hand London - Anna Dress

Thanks for your comments on my red shorts.  I have worn them a lot already and I have a yellow pair in the pipeline.
P7232953
As you can see, I finished my Anna Dress.  I hadn't seen this pattern until I visited the Sewbox online shop for something-or-other.  As soon as I saw it I bought the pattern.  Not because I want to make every single By Hand pattern there will ever be, just for the sake of it, but because I really like the style.

I made it in an embroidered eyelet fabric I had in my stash, but I didn't have enough for the long version, which is the one I wanted to make.  I still think I would prefer the longer version and will make it as soon as I have the fabric.  Having said that, I do really like this dress a lot, even though it's not the long version.  I chopped about 9 cm off the length of this, as it was a frumpy in between length on me otherwise.

This is such a quick make, it really is.  It didn't take me much more than a couple of hours.  As usual for By Hand, this pattern is well drafted, and comes together perfectly.  I would like to make a couple more of these.  This is a simple but stylish dress that skims the body in just the right places!  The armholes are roomy enough to be cool but not enough to show my undies, and I really like the shape of the sleeves a lot.  The best bit, though, are those pleats under the bust.  Just look!  Perfect.  Actually, I might make a top out of the bodice.  Hmm...

I took so many photos, trying to get some detail to show in the black fabric.  In the end, I had to put the dress on my dress form and photograph it in my undies, after some jiggling with the camera light metering.
P7232960
Here are some more photos:
P7232947
P7232941

Sucking everything in for a (sort of ) side view!

P7232940

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Again. You make such pretty clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it... it didn't seem like much when i first saw the pattern but you made me change my mind...thanks. you look great in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you try it, I'd like to see your version.

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress and very nice fabric. You look very good in it!
    Too bad it is so difficult to capture black on camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a sucker for the black fabric lately!

      Delete
  4. I really like the length of that on you. Somehow I've missed seeing this pattern before but I think I like it the best of the By Hand ones now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine.

      I think I actually got the length right, for a change.

      Delete
  5. I like the shape of the neckline and sleeves. Very similar to the dress I've just made, but this pattern has more interesting things going on below the waist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the neckline and sleeves, too. And the sleeves were so easy! Yay!

      Delete
  6. Perfect! I ran off and made three Anna's straight away!

    ReplyDelete