Thursday, February 14, 2013

Vogue 1258...Thanks to Evie!

P2141835
A few months ago, Evie very generously gave me this beautiful stretch crepe, having posted it on her blog as being available to anyone that wanted to give it a home!  Having been immediately smitten as soon as I laid eyes on it, I was very lucky to get it before anyone else did.

I eyed it on and off ever since it arrived in the post (a few months ago, I think, although I can't be sure, as time seems to fly every time I so much as blink).  Honestly, I liked it so much...the retro geometric look of it, the feel (my fave type of stretch fabric), the drape...I didn't want to ruin it by using it for something that either went totally wrong, or went right but didn't suit me.  I was planning to play it safe and make yet another Vogue 2091 DKNY dress (you know how I love that pattern).  Thing is, I knew I would be much happier if I made a bit more effort and really did it justice.

So, here is Vogue 1258!  Gosh, I love it.  The whole time I was making it up, right from the cutting and marking of the fabric, I was expecting it to go all wrong.  But I decided that I would take it second by second, and step by step, and not worry about it along the way.  So, by the time I had reached the end, and was hemming the skirt, I was kind surprised to find nothing had gone wrong, though some of it felt a bit risky at the time.  I'm talking about all those pleats, which converge at the centre front, and the sleeves, which did go wrong, but which I somehow still got to look good.
P2121832

But weirdly, the whole thing was a very quick make indeed, the fabric behaved itself, the pleats were easy and all the pieces fitted together perfectly.  I mentioned the sleeves; I had to leave the actual sleeve/cuff off altogether, and just hem the edge of where it should have been attached (I couldn't get it to sit right where I had clipped diagonally on a corner).  Here is the line drawing so you can see what you are looking at!
V1258
P2141846
P2141842

The upper front and upper back are sewn together and between them make a long tie.  There are quite a few pleats which drape from the centre front, as I mentioned earlier, and they are hidden under the tie.  The skirt is narrow at the lower edge, with no vent.  And yippee, the whole thing just pulls on over one's head!

The only thing I altered, apart from the sleeves, was the neckline, which I raised by a couple of inches or so, otherwise it would have been unwearable for me.

Would I make this again?  Yes!  Undoubtedly.  I want to make millions of them in every colour.  It's the new Vogue 2091!

Thank you, Evie, for your generosity.  I am so glad I didn't play it safe!

17 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you didn't play it safe either. This dress is amazing! So fabulous! I'm bowled over. This fabric was meant for you, I'm convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Evie!

    I love this dress and I'm glad you like it too. I worried about ruining the fabric when you kindly gave it to me. I wanted to do it proud!

    Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a great fabric and an amazing dress! And your shoes look very nice as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pauline.

      My shoes are suede Miss Sixty.

      Delete
  4. You've done a great job. I made this dress a while back and found the tie in the front just too long. It suits a taller woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I am short, so I made a bow in the tie ends.

      Delete
  5. Well done! I don't think I could have coped with all those pleats!
    It looks great on you...especially with those lovely shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona. I am sure you could cope with the pleats. It's easy once you figure out where they go...they meet at the dots nearest the centre front (see the photo with the tacking stitches?)

      Give it a go!

      Delete
    2. I'm very tempted, it's certainly joined the ever growing list of things I want to try anyway!
      I really enjoy reading your blog and have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, there's a post about it on my blog http://chainstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  6. Love it! Great job on the pleats and tie front and the whole thing goes beautifully with the shoes..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress. Love the print. I will have to check out this dress pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous dress and fabulous fabric

    ReplyDelete