Saturday, January 06, 2007

Baby Cable Rib


I started these socks on Saturday and finshed them on Thursday. Usually it takes me ages to knit a pair of socks, especially if they're not just plain stocking stitch, so I'm really pleased. The baby cable rib pattern is from Sensational Knitted Socks - a very useful book - and is on 56sts and 2.5mm needles. The yarn is Opal 4-ply.

I have actually finished Nick's sock, which I started last April. I've just cast-on 90sts for the other sock. So now I can look forward to loads and loads of 3 x 3 slipped-stitch ribbing. It's okay though, as I'm finding that these days I'm content to sit and knit and don't really mind what it is (if it's my "mindless" project of the moment). I used 47g out of 100g for the first sock so I'm hoping I'll have enough for the second. I should have, as I have 6g to play with and that's quite a lot, I suppose. But then, you know what my tension is like, so it may be a bit hair-raising towards the end.

My hair is dark brown again, by the way. Now I can wear my funky/odd clothes again without it all being too much.

18 comments:

  1. that was fast! it must have been fun to make. I also love me a bit of mindless knitting from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the socks, great shade of blue too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the baby cable pattern on your socks and what impressive speed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those socks are really really pretty! You knit them so fast, too, what's the secret?

    I'm happy for you about your hair! I did like that bright shade of red, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. golly I do like those socks! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, plain yarn shows the pattern to perfection! They look lovely, and they look as though they fit, too. Thinking about the return to brown hair, did Charlie have anything to say about the changes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your socks look lovely, and very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Alice to you & yours ;I am trying to catch up with folks since we came home. I love the pattern and the colour you have used for the socks ; that's fast knitting :) The book sounds good; I might just invest in it as I keep saying I will do at least one pair of socks one day and it they are mindless makes then that would suit my mood these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These socks are absolutely fantastic - what a beautiful pattern, and I so love the colour of the yarn you've been using! And how fast you knit them up! Great work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat socks. You have a major part to play in my 'birth' as a knitter of socks (and other stuff) & blogger! http://fromhillrise.blogspot.com/ will find its way to my new blog. I also have started a blog for a group I teach, which is why my profile isn't 'live' (they don't need to know that I love to knit socks and other such stuff that I may share with yarn friends!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I quite agree about the colour - it really is nice and I love the pattern! I should knit some adlut sock this year - it isn't as if there isn't any sock yarn in the stash! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely socks, and unbeliveably speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the socks look totally professional. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those socks are great and so speedy. I am very impressed by cables on tiny needles, I am not worthy, I have been knitting the same (stocking stitch) sock for months, I feel ashamed.

    I enjoyed your 6 weird things, good to know someone else does the phone thing, I pretend I don't hear it, thick walls and all that...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The socks look great - I absolutely love the colour. They look like they fit really well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those socks rock! Way to go in completing them in less than a week :)

    ReplyDelete